March 2, 2013

Donburiya - NYC


Store Front

After a long day of walking, my friend and I were too lazy to trek out to the Hell's Kitchen area for food (which was what we planned to do). So instead, I searched up a restaurant near our hotel and found this place.



Okonomiyaki

I think this Okonomiyaki dish was called Teppan Yaki with potato or something on the menu. The sauce was delicious, but this dish had large onion chunks that distracted me from everything else. I like onions, but the slices here were really thick and wide.



Tonkotsu Ramen


I ordered the Tonkotsu Ramen for a main. I've had that at Sansotei and all the other Ramen joints I've been to in Toronto, so I wanted to see how this would fare in comparison.

The portion wasn't very large. The half egg seemed to be missing a lot of the yolk, but that's fine with me since I'm not much of a fan of it anyway. The noodle quality was pretty typical, but the single slice of pork belly, though thick, was pretty tender. The soup was all right, but I like Sansotei more.



Niku Suki Udon (?)

My friend got this. That white thing in the middle is an egg. He said his udon dish was good, so I guess he enjoyed the place more than I did.

Regarding service, we had a waitress who seemed like she wasn't too fluent with English. I'm fine with that, but it's something you may want to prepare for. There were others there who spoke English fluently, and everyone was nice enough to us, but they did take a long time to bring us our bill when we finished.

Rating: 

The tonkotsu ramen was all right, but the okonomiyaki was a let down. My friend enjoyed his meal though, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.



Donburiya on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment